High School Internships
Maritime Gloucester High School Volunteer Description
“I can't tell you how much I learned about marine life, running an aquarium, and even teaching the public. Every shift I came home with a new story to tell: ‘Today I watched a squid shoot ink!’ or ‘Today I looked at live crab plankton with a microscope!’ and the entire experience was extremely valuable.” -Lindsey, High School Intern
Maritime Gloucester is a non-profit organization dedicated to marine science education, maritime heritage, and environmental stewardship. The one-acre site includes the oldest continuously operated marine railway in the country, seasonal aquarium, boat shop, working waterfront museum, multi-use wood shop, dory shop, multi-purpose classroom, digital microscope lab, and marine wet lab.
The mission of Maritime Gloucester is to inspire students and visitors to value marine science, maritime heritage, and environmental stewardship through hands-on education and experiences.
Junior educator volunteer:
Our junior educators will help staff engage our ocean explorers during our summer programs. These programs take place on the Maritime Gloucester campus, on a traditionally built schooner and may involve field trips to local salt marshes or beaches. They will learn about marine science, being on the water and communicating science through fun. Communication with staff is key and we rely on email to update information, reminders and field trips.
- High school junior or senior
- Strong interest in the sciences and/or teaching
- Able to lead activities for younger kids including camp games, science games/activities
- Responsible, respectful, willing to work with staff members and kids on and off campus
- Comfortable being on boats
- Assisting staff with program preparation
- Assisting staff with summer programs (leading small groups on the schooner Ardelle or on campus, organizing and playing games, supervising lunch and snack times, etc.)
1 day / week minimum from July 5 through August 31